Thursday, 23 July 2015

Wooly Madness!

So is there anyone left out there who hasn't been taken over by the Outlander obsession?  I was late coming to the series as I hadn't enjoyed the books as much as many of Diana Gabaldon's fans, but one evening, I was browsing my 'Prime' options and decided to give it a go.

The acting is good, the scenery stunning, but the costumes are the show stealers, especially the knitwear!  I'm not a great knitter, I've admitted before, but suddenly I had the drive to sit down and get out the needles.
I couldn't find a suitable pattern for Claire's wrist warmers, so I made one up, why not???  I've already finished one and the next is halfway, so I'll post pictures and the very simple pattern soon.
Meanwhile, my attempts at Fractal Spinning have produced this!  I would have liked more orange and brown combinations, but it's fairly pleasing and may end up as another pair of simple wrist warmers!  The wool was dyed with food colouring, so I'm testing it to see how colour fast it is.  Apparently the shades fade over time and some of the blends have already lost their brightness.
Now I have two large fleeces to finish processing, as moths got into my stash and I've had to be brutal and throw a lot of it away.  I have my lovely Manx Loughton and Romney fleeces left and that's all!!!  However, I have heard whisper of a black Shetland fleece going for free, so that could be mine soon :D

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the Starz production of Outlander, though I've seen the clips which Diana Gabaldon posts on FB. In the books it seems that other than the time in Paris Claire is dressed very simply with messy tasks in mind. I like the knitted mini-'shawl'--don't know what it should be called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MM, it was the scarves and arm warmers/sleeves that were so yummy in the first five episodes :D I'm excited to see they've made Season 2!!!!

    ReplyDelete