Friday, 24 July 2015

Fractal spinning and moths!

Sometime back, I spent a couple of days playing with wool and food dyes.  The results were mixed, so I decided to indulge in some fractal spinning.  I used some commercially dyed merino to add a little strength of colour here and there, but for the most part, the shades are purely down to food dyes.
It would seem that there is definitely an art to mixing the colours so that you get an even distribution and I think I used too many different shades of the rainbow!!!  However, I think I'll make something very bright and eye catching, like maybe a shawl!!!  Not totally sure yet!
One very hot weekend, I decided to make the most of the weather and get more fleece washed.  Imagine my horror when I opened the bags to find that my fleeces were contaminated with moth larvae.  Only two of my lovely fleeces were untouched, so I quickly put them in buckets and started the long, hard process of cleaning and drying.  The other sacks (three of them) went straight to the field to be burned.
The job was harder this time as I was pouring the hot, lanoline filled buckets on to the ground beneath the hedge, as last time, I let it go down the drain with catastrophic results!  I do not want to be unblocking drains any time soon, or ever!!!

So now my evenings are spent sitting on the patio carding the wool and putting it in double bags away from any more moth attacks.  The white wool is Romney and is my favourite to spin, so soft and silky, but the Manx Loughton has so many varied colour combinations. I'm looking forward to knitting these up into some of the Outlander patterns :D

No comments:

Post a Comment