Sunday, 30 March 2014

Spinning and weaving.

I wanted to do some weaving this week after seeing some of the lovely work from the women in my Guild.  I went on Youtube (as you do!) and found lots of inspiring videos. Unfortunately I can't afford a proper loom but I did remember having a childrens toy loom among my stash of 'useful things'! With a bit of ingenuity, I thought it could be adapted!

I warped the loom and used a chair back to get the length to weave a scarf, with the help of Bambam!
The surplus wool was taped and wrapped around a long paint brush (lots of those around here!).
The wool used for the warp was from a ball of my first ever spun thread.
You can see how rough and wiggly it is, compared to the ball beside it, which is still pretty rough, but getting better!!!
Halfway through, quality control had to check my progress!  Tokhi and Bambam are half sisters and cousins!!!  That sounds odd doesn't it :D
When the loom was nearly full, I eased the wool off and unraveled another length.
Then set it up as before.  The only snag doing it this way, is that I had a big gap in the weaving, where the wooden support is at the bottom.  A bit of pulling and teasing sorted it out, but using a more delicate wool might not work as well.  Thankfully, my spun wool is tough!!!
I like using natural colours for these projects especially as I want to make some things to wear at the Ancient Farm, and lets face it, ancient people did not wear cerise!!!  One of my favourite wools is the Manx Loughton, which the Ancient Farm has a whole flock of, so that's handy!  They are born dark brown, but the sun bleaches the tips of their wool to a golden colour.  To get the wool fit for spinning, it needs to be carded or combed.
You lay the fibres out on the carder and gently brush with another carder.  Buying from ebay, the Manx Loughton is a uniform honey brown, but I like the contrasting colours to show.
 
 
This gives a lovely bumpy yarn with bright highlights.  I'm not sure quite how it will turn out when it's ply-ed (two strands joined together to make a strong, thick wool), but for now it's looking good and I'm quite happy.  If the wool is ply-ed properly, it will be easier to knit or crochet with it, but my early yarns were almost impossible to use, so the weaving is a good way to get around this :D



1 comment:

  1. ohh it looks fabulous...and of course our ancient ancestors would have worn such gorgeous items :) i much prefer rustic, organic colours and these are lovely.
    i heaved a sigh at Butser as my nan would always talk about it as my portsea ancestors would 'go over the hill' to buriton near butser for the hop picking :)

    ReplyDelete