Sunday, 3 February 2013

Salad Challenge (and hair!)

At the end of last year I wrote about what I meant about 'Holistic Home'.  I didn't explain it well and to be honest I think the best thing I can do is show you what it means to me.  Holistic means to consider the 'Whole' of something. which to me,  means how my home fits in to everything around it with as small an impact as possible.  It's easier to show what I mean than tell it.

With this in mind, I've decided to take up the '52 Week Salad Challenge'.  My reasons are many, but mainly cost, to me and the environment.  I love a fresh, crunchy salad with my lunch  but often have half a bag left, which gets shoved to the back of the fridge to be discovered a couple of days later, looking most unappetizing.  Why not eat it every day until it's used up?  Well, I can't always plan my days and if I'm called out suddenly to the ponies or have an urgent job or client to see, then lunch is either skipped or whatever will fit in my pocket as I leave the house (sometimes a cream egg!!!). 

If my lunch is growing in the greenhouse, then it's fresh whenever I need it. Also, I hate those plastic bags the salad comes in, they only add to all the other unnecessary packaging thrust at us as consumers.  So I'll be cutting down on waste twice, although I do tend to feed the soggy leaves of wasted salads to my chickens, who are less fussy than me :D

As yesterday was Imbolc, the day celebrated as the start to the new growing year, I took advantage of good weather and set about organising the garden. 

 I used my big bushcraft knife to cut the stakes for this mini hurdle enclosing my front border.  This style of edging I learned while briefly working at the Ancient Farm nearby. It was a method used by Bronze age farmers, so good enough for me :D  Tokhi had to join the photo session!
 This is where I'll be planting all my flowering and medicinal herbs.  So far I've definitely decided on Calendula and Feverfew, but have a few other herb seeds from last year that may be joining them (I've actually forgotten what I bought, so need to go through my seed box!!!)

This is my hair, haha!  You may be wondering 'what on Earth???'  Well, I've decided to join the 'No Poo' challenge which basically means giving your hair a complete break from shampoo and other related products. Click on the No Poo link to read more about it, or you can follow my very dodgy progress here!
The shampoos and soaps we use contain some pretty harmful products, the worst one being  Sodium Laureth Sulphate which is actually a commercial engine degreasing product!!!  This can cause long term damage to our skin, hair and eyes but just google it to read for yourself.  Also, most shampoos coat our hair with silicone to make it manageable, but this causes build up on the scalp and can lead to other issues such as hair loss and dandruff.  So it's worth giving this a go, if you have the patience and conviction, hmm, we'll see if I do!!!
Basically, my hair was washed with 1tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water, rinsed and then conditioned with 2tablespoons of cider vinegar and a couple of drops of essential oil.

Other people who have tried the challenge reported increased oily hair, but mine has gone completely the other way.  As I understand it, my hair and scalp will go through a detox, as my skin adjusts to producing it's own oils, so I may get the greasy's soon, haha!  At the moment though, my hair feels like a matted straw hat, so I'm looking at natural conditioners.  I've decided to play with some essential oils as I have a pretty extensive stock from when I used to sell them (I've had soooo many varied jobs in my life :D )

So, to re-cap, I'll be posting my Salad challenge progress every Friday, and mid week will be my hair progress, even if I fall off the wagon, I'll write about it.  I'm at day 5 with my hair and gave it a second wash last night, it's a lot less like rope today, so fingers crossed I can find a nice blend of oils to nourish it.

4 comments:

  1. i stopped using commercial shampoo about a year ago...at the moment i use Dr Bronners or a soapnut bar and apple cider vineger as a conditioner. my hair is not too bad, sometimes it feels a bit 'sludgy' but i do wonder this that is its natural state?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Laoi, I've been thinking the same, that my hair feels odd because this is what real hair is like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and look forward to coming back to see your progress. I too am trying to eat more raw, more greens, love green smoothies, but have slacked off in the winter weather - it seems soups and stews heavy on the barley and lentils have been taking over my kitchen lately.
    I began using a bit of raw virgin coconut oil in my hair to condition it - next thing to go is the sodium lauryl sulfate laden shampoos. Also, coconut oil is the best body moisturizer - gone from my bathroom are the commercial crap filled brands with artificial scents that fill the store shelves.
    peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hair!

    Please do keep us up to date on your progress!

    ReplyDelete