Saturday, 29 September 2012

What is a holistic home?

I've been thinking about this a lot since starting my new blog.  Why would I call it this and what makes my home holistic?

If you look at the meaning of the word, holistic, it means to consider the whole system of something.  The way that the home, in it's individual parts, comes together to form a complete way of living.  For me, it's about looking at everything I do so that my overall goal of living a simple, low impact life can be achieved.

I want my homelife to fit easily into the world around me and although my goal is to one day have a small holding, I realise that it's quite possible to live more thoughtfully wherever I am.  The Vertical Veg family have proven that it's possible to achieve great things in a small space and I find there are other inspiring people on the internet sharing their secrets.  I'll post links as and when I find them.

Living simply and holistically isn't the same at all as living easily.  If I want to have fresh bread for the day, then I have to get up extra early to bake it.  My jams are homemade, so that means a day in the kitchen.  I'm not perfect though, and will sometimes use the tumble dryer if I've not been able to line-dry my washing.  For me, it's not about being perfect, it's about having a go and making changes.

Today, the sun is shining, so I'll be getting my washing hung out, and some fleeces washed and ready to spin before heading out to visit the new addition to my family.  More on that tomorrow :D



2 comments:

  1. As far as I understand the general idea, this is something impossible for me, for my way of living in my/our realities. At least now. But it's interesting to know that there're other possibilities for achieving a healthy, calm and harmonous life. To reach the balance one needs. I believe in you and am sure that you'll learn a lot along the way you've chosen, Kimberley!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's possible for anyone Rossichka, if you can cut down on the things you throw away etc... You've given me food for thought! Thank you, as always my sweet friend :D

    ReplyDelete