Saturday, 22 September 2012

Raised Pie - or, Dog food pie!

This is normally a pie I make at Christmas, packed with all the leftover meats and stuffing and anything else that I can find! Although, so far, no vegetables have made it into this pie as my son would have a fit!
I adapted the recipe from a Game pie that I found in one of my old house keeping books. I have so many second hand cookery books, often bought for £1. or less from Amazon marketplace. I adore old books and prefer them to new ones. I love holding them and thinking about the people who used them before me!

So, I made this pie as I had a whole load of meat offcuts from the supermarket. I originally bought them for the dog, but in a moment of total selfishness, thought they were too good and would make a lovely pie! My Mum was horrified, haha!

The recipe for the hot water pastry is:
350g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
75g lard or white fat
150ml milk or equal measures of milk and water

In a bowl, mix flour and salt together.
In a pot, warm the milk and add the fat and bring to the boil.
Add to the flour and beat to make a soft dough.
Knead until smooth and leave to cool. (I usually roll it out warm as it's more pliable).
Set aside 1/3 of the dough for the lid and roll out the rest.
Line a high sided pie dish with the dough or use a pork pie tin if you have one. Fill with chopped meat etc... I usually add a white sauce as the children don't like the jelly that goes into most meat pies, but you could add that instead if you prefer.
Add the lid and bake in a pre-heated oven at 220C for 20mins. Turn out onto a tray and bake for a further 20-30 mins.

Sorry these pictures are so dark!

PS. Check the Studio blog, as I have updated the Etsy shop and there are some cute Halloween earrings in there, with more goodies to follow :D

1 comment: